October 10, 2012

Call It Beauty is Back With Bobbi Brown! (+ A Little Makeup Artistry Update)


I'm baaaaack!

Firstly, I must apologize for the ridiculous (and unannounced) hiatus... I can't really talk about it, but let's just say my personal life required all of my attention. But I decided that I've worked too hard on this blog to let it fall by the wayside; so here I am, trying to slowly make my way back into the world of beauty blogging! I do apologize for falling off the radar without any notice on the blog -- I promise I won't let it happen again. (But in case I do, a little slack would be appreciated :p)

Thanks for those of you who checked up on me via twitter, your concern was definitely appreciated and it warmed my heart. :)

But now, onto the review!



A few months ago, I started looking for a long-wearing foundation that did not have as much coverage as my go-to: Estée Lauder Double Wear. My reasoning was that I wanted my skin to look more natural on the regular and save Double Wear for performances and special occasions. Everyone totally has a special occasion foundation, right? :p

I was recommended Bobbi Brown's Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation by the lovely Becca from The Beauty Sample and since I pretty much love her blog and everything she's featured on it, I knew I had to give it a try. Now, before I continue, I must say that this foundation has been discontinued and replaced by the Long-Wear Even Finish Foundation (which promises an even longer wear time). So why am I reviewing it? Well, because it's still available for purchase in some counters and because I want to! :p


Wearing Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation with no concealer.

What I love about this foundation is that, as the same suggests, it looks very natural. It gives great coverage and I require very little concealing (under my eyes and on blemishes); basically it makes my skin look great without looking overly great. Plus, it doesn't break me out or cause any reactions, which is always a bonus. It's a great colour match for me, though it did become too light when I tanned up a bit during the Summer -- nothing a little bronzer couldn't fix, though!

The only thing that would've made this foundation that much better is if it had better oil-control. I did find that my face gets oily before my regular work day and it definitely fades quire a bit after 8-9 hours (without setting powder). This is probably what Bobbi Brown improved on with the release of their new long-wearing foundation, so if your skin is on the oilier side, I would definitely try the Long-Wear Even Finish foundation first.

That said, now that the weather is much cooler, I find that this foundation definitely sticks around for at least 9 hours. So I'll definitely be reaching for it more often during the Fall and the Winter.

This foundation is definitely a no-fuss foundation -- you can apply with a brush or your fingers, it still looks good. It's perfect for those days when I want to look polished and want more coverage than a tinted moisturizer/BB cream, but want less than EL's Double Wear foundation.


In other news...




I've started my Fashion & Photography Makeup course!

This has been THE course I've been itching to take since the very beginning and I am so happy that I'm finally taking it. Of course, I love doing your everyday, regular type of makeup; but there's something so thrilling about being more creative.

The two photos are above are 2 of the looks I've done so far. The first was something I came up with when prompted by the words fall and jewel tones. I wasn't initially very happy with the second look because a lot of my other classmates really went all out with their appliqués, but I've learned to appreciate it because I really like how the makeup aspect turned out. I was also relieved to see that my eyelining skills had not deteriorated.




This was definitely my favourite ever class assignment!

My instructor told us that we needed to: 1) "create" a runway collection. 2) create a makeup look for the runway show. And 3) create an inspiration backstory for both. It was so much fun because I was able to incorporate my creative writing skills into the assignment.




Pretty much the highlight of my (very short) career so far is doing a photoshoot for a YWCA awareness campaign. A friend of mine works as a copy writer for a local advertising agency and is working with the YWCA on the campaign. She posted a status on Facebook asking for any makeup artists who would be willing to do makeup for a photoshoot "pro bono," so to speak. Of course, I jumped at the chance to be part of this campaign. I mean, what an opportunity, right?

The shoot itself was a lot of fun and was a great learning experience. I can't wait to do more work!





Happy Wednesday, lovelies!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails