January 9, 2012

Call It Beauty Goes Short!


On December 17th last year, I decided I was going to say goodbye to the old and hello to the new...

I have been toying with the idea of going short for some time now, but I wasn't ready for it emotionally. Like some women, I have some sort of attachment to my hair. The problem was, I started to hide behind it. I didn't want to stand out, so I kept it the same for more than 3 years.

I've wanted to get this specific cut for probably a year now, but I kept making excuses for myself. "I'll lose weight first so I'll have a better jawline" was among them. But I didn't want to make excused for myself anymore. You see, going short wasn't just a hairstyle change for me; it also symbolizes a lifestyle change. As my very wise brother told me, "if you can't even take a risk with something as insignificant as your hair, then how do you expect to be able to take risks in your life?" He was right...

I decided that I wanted to make changes, mostly with my mindset and the way I approach life. The haircut was just a physical manifestation of the internal. So, here it is:


I honestly never thought I would say this, but I've been loving having short hair! Not only does it take much less time to style, but I also feel more like myself. My previous hair was just not complimenting my face or my body in any way (although people did love the fact that it was curly/wavy). My new style has more oomph and better conveys my personality.

My stylist, Katie-Rose owns a boutique salon called Lost and Found in the Mount Pleasant area in Vancouver and I absolutely loved the entire experience. Because she's the only stylist (it is currently a one-chair salon), it felt like a more personal experience. She's super fun to talk to, is one of the nicest people I've ever met and did such an amazing job on my hair. If you're looking for a great experience for a reasonable price (she charges $40/cut for women), then definitely go to her and tell her I sent you! :)

(My cut is actually much shorter on the left side, as you can see in this photo)

If you're thinking of going short, here's a few tips:

1. Don't Make This Decision While Emotional - Post breakup? I would say, wait til you're calmer before going short. This is a big decision and you want to feel better after your cut, not more emotional.

2. Commit To A Cut - It's not enough to just decide you want to go short. Google short hairstyles and pick your favourite. Then look at that same photo often for a few months. If you still love it after that time, then go for it!

3. Prepare To Style - Depending on the cut, you will most probably have to do some styling. My current style doesn't take that much, but it's definitely still a change. If you have wavy/curly hair like me and your cut looks better with straight hair, make sure to purchase a good straightening iron and the proper hairstyling products.

4. Be Ready For Constant Trims - I don't know what it is about hair, but it seems to grow faster the shorter it is. I had my haircut 3 weeks ago and I've already gone for a trim! Maintaining your short hair takes some work; if this doesn't sound feasible for you, then it might not be a good idea to go short.

5. Go To A Good Stylist - This is probably a bit redundant, but it's so important! One of the reasons I chose to go with Katie-Rose was because she has a pretty fierce haircut. I figured that she'd "get" what I'm trying to go for better than any other stylist because she's been there.

6. ROCK IT, GIRL! - Let's face it, shorter hairstyles are generally more showstopping than long hairstyles. Once you go short, you better werk that hair! Be bold!





Do any of you have short hair?




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails